The doctrinal position of Presbyterian Missionary Union is that of the Bible as summarized in the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms (as stated in The Constitution of the Bible Presbyterian Church – 1959 edition). This means that among other doctrines:
- We believe in the verbal, plenary, divine inspiration of the Scriptures in the original languages, their consequent inerrancy and infallibility, and as the Word of God, the supreme and final authority if faith and life.
- We believe in one God existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, co-equal and co-eternal
- We believe that man was created in the image of God; that the entire human race sinned in Adam as their covenant representative; and that all human beings thereafter are consequently born in a state of sin and with a sinful, totally depraved nature.
- We believe in the absolute deity and the real but sinless humanity of our Lord Jesus Christ; and that as a man He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for the sins of those who He elected to salvation from all eternity – a substitutionary, expiatory death; and that all who are thus enabled to come to Him are freely forgiven and justified on the ground of His shed blood and imputed righteousness.
- We believe in the resurrection of Christ from the dead in the same body in which He was crucified; His ascension into the Heavens; His present work of intercession for those who the Father gave Him; and in His personal and pre-millennial return to earth with all His saints in power and great glory.
- We believe that individual salvation is not of works, but by grace alone; that it is the effect of the sovereign, irresistible work of the Holy Spirit in regeneration; and that it is received by faith alone, a faith which itself is the gift of God.
- We believe that all whom God has called to salvation are justified in time, and will assuredly persevere to final glorification in heaven where they will enjoy the Lord forever; on the other hand, those who die outside of Christ will be in conscious torment throughout all eternity.
- We believe that the church, the mystical body of Christ, includes believers of all ages whom He has redeemed by His blood; and that those who live in this present dispensation of the covenant of grace should assemble themselves together in local churches with others of like-precious faith.
- We believe that Christ through His Spirit instituted the sacraments of circumcision and the Passover in the old dispensation; and that He personally instituted the sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s Supper in this present dispensation of His covenant of grace, the latter to be observed until He comes.
- We believe in the real spiritual unity in Christ of all the redeemed and in the necessity of maintaining, according to the Word of God, the purity of the visible church in doctrine and life.
- We believe that it is the primary task of the church in this age to fulfill Christ’s great commission in taking the gospel “to every creature” and making disciples of all nations, training them to be obedient to the “whole counsel of God.”
This doctrinal statement shall never be amended or revoked.
This statement of faith is taken from ARTICLE III of the PMU Constitution.